On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Apr 23, 2008

Hands and Feet

18x24, Charcoal, 2 hours
This week were studying the hands and feet. I think it's insane to clump these two extremely complex forms into one week, but what do I know?

We had a nice change of pace. Instead of doing the same half hour (or in my case one hour) sustained drawings followed by a homework assignment, we did several quick 5 minute studies of the hands and feet. I guess the idea is that we have to simplify them to basic shapes to be able to get a good likeness on the page in five minutes. This results in a better understanding of what shapes both of the forms are composed of. I was pretty excited about this one so I dove right in. I officially suck at 5 minute drawings, but I had so much fun, and I'll be doing a lot more of this in the summer.

For the homework assignment we had to draw our own hands and feet in the same composition. As you can see I have the ugliest feet in the world (left). What a fun week for anatomy. My goal is to understand these forms (especially hands) well enough to be able to draw them accurately from memory. Then I can focus on cartoon hands.



Here's my quick 5 minute studies:






Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home