On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Jun 6, 2008

Spirit of the Pose

Karl Gnass and Glen Vilppu have to be some of the best contemporary life drawing instructors out there today. I acquired Vilppus DVDs a long time ago, but have only been able to view them at an agonizingly slow rate due to work and school, something I hope to change this summer. But I've always managed to spare a moment here and there to skim through Karl Gnass's Sketchbook 1, "Spirit of the Pose". The title effectively tells you what this book is about. Gnass is a master of life drawing, and his style is engaging. I could spend hours looking at his work. I managed to get a signed copy of the book through Stuart Ng Books.



This book has been an incredible resource lately as I study gesture drawing more and more. I guess this is what I'm shooting for in my own work (image below). I dare not post my work side by side with Gnass's, but if you scroll down to my last post you can see I have a long way to go. I would imagine Gnass knocked these out in a similar time frame. How humbling.

I visited Gnass's website for the first time a couple day ago, and I was delighted to find YouTube videos. This is the first time I've seen him draw, and I love to see a master at work. Below is one of the videos on his site where he analyzes a Michelangelo. There are two more on the site you must check out, including one where Gnass analyzes a Daffy Duck pose from Duck Amuck. Click here to go to the site.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home