On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Jun 15, 2008

Will Eisner's The Spirit

The first trailer for Frank Miller's adaptation of the Will Eisner's The Spirit is now online over at Apple. Check it out in High Def if you can. I'm super excited about this film as I've been getting into Eisner's work recently, though I've been a fan for years. I just never set aside the time to read through them. I'm starting with The Contract with God Trilogy, and I'm slowly acquiring his entire library through Ebay.

Something tells me I should have started with The Spirit, but I honestly don't know where to start with this one. I've searched on Ebay, but I don't know where it starts. It would be nice if there was a complete Spirit somewhere, and not just random comics. After seeing the trailer, and watching the video below, it sounds like I definitely should have started my exposure to Eisner there. Oh well. Hopefully I can get into some Spirit before I see the film.

I've been studying Bridgman a lot lately. I'm actually taking a break from that right now. It didn't take me long to notice the similarities in Bridgman and Eisner's style, so I wasn't surprised when I found out Eisner studied under Bridgman. What better endorsement for his guide to life drawing do you need? (I'll be posting some of my Bridgman studies later)

Back to the film. The cast for this one looks interesting. Samuel L. Jackson has done some real garbage films lately, and you never really know what he'll come out with next. One thing that is certain, however, is that he is capable of extraordinary character acting. I can't wait to see him in an Eisner character, story, and world. I think he'll be good.

As for the style of the film, I'm worried it looks a little too much like Sin City. I would have loved to see a new graphic style to set Eisner's work on the screen apart from everyone else's. Much like Miller did with his own Sin City, and 300. But maybe it's too soon to speak, I haven't seen enough visuals yet. I would also have loved to see Eisner animated, but I'm a little biased on that one.

Check out the video below for an interview with the filmmakers:



For more on Will Eisner, click here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

http://www.floobynooby.com/spirit/thespirit.html

October 22, 2008 5:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home