On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Feb 7, 2009

Coraline

What a visual treat! I really was amazed at how far forward Laika has brought stop-motion animation. Some of the shots and animation in this film are mind-bogglingly complex. From the cinematography to the art direction to the character designs to the score, I was thoroughly enchanted. The characters, save one or two, were all rich and hilarious. The film itself felt so right, not too long or short.

I'm noticing a tendency in these stop-mo films in that they veer towards the creepy a little more than I like. I suppose that's due to the fact that Selick and Burton have been involved in all of the major contributions to feature stop motion animation. It's not that I don't like creepy, but when Nick Park seems to be the only major animator NOT doing creepy it gets a little tiring. But don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying Coraline. It's a beautiful film, and well worth seeing (Especially in 3D).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home