On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Mar 19, 2009

Composing Pictures Chapter 9

It's pretty incredible the response that my public appeal has generated over at Cartoon Brew. Over a hundred people have voiced their opinions on the matter. Now the post serves as not only a resource on the topic of saving for school, but also on the nature of the industry, work ethic, differences between schools, and methods of going it alone without schools. There's a wealth of information in people's personal stories as they recount their journeys towards industry jobs. There's also a lot of ridiculous comments from what sounds like bitter and angry people.

I have received a lot of e-mails that basically break down into two camps. Those that think I should go to CalArts, and those that think I should go to Sheridan. Sheridan is not an option for me, and I won't go into why. I taught myself a heck of a lot over the last year, and my hard work has paid off in the form of an acceptance letter. So I know beyond a doubt that I am capable of working my way up the long, hard, and cheap way. I have the confidence in myself, and the resources on the internet are plentiful. But I won't entertain that idea until I have exhausted every effort to take hold of this opportunity. I have been to CalArts, and I know I can become a better artist, faster, and meet a ton of people in just one year there.

My plan, since I started thinking about CalArts, is to try my best to get there and make the absolute most of it if I do. I'll take it year by year. If I can't make this happen, if I can't raise the funds in time, I will have to defer for a year. During that year I will undoubtedly teach myself a lot. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to go the following year.

Click the link below, and take a look at the buzz this has generated. I guarantee you'll learn something:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/student/send-a-canadian-to-calarts.html#comments

Here's the next chapter of Composing Pictures:








Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home