On Animation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.onanimation.com/weblog
and update your bookmarks.

The journal of an aspiring animation filmmaker. Inspiration, Film Analysis, Animation Art, Student Work, Book Notes, Book Store, Composing Pictures, and much more!

Mar 14, 2009

Banjo the Woodpile Cat

I just finished watching Don Bluth's Banjo the Woodpile Cat. I got it earlier this week off Amazon from Don Bluth studios. Up until Jerry Beck posted about it on Cartoon Brew, I'd never even heard of it. I'd always assumed Secret of Nihm was the first Bluth project.

I was drawn to buy it because of the animation history revealed in the extras. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, and the whole Bluth leaving Disney situation was always something I wanted to know more about.

The 26 minute feature is full of some beautiful animation, and I totally recommend you pick up a copy. It's well worth it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Arythusa said...

A few of those characters look right out of Rock-a-Doodle (and All Dogs Go to Heaven...and NIHM). I love Don Bluth but he reuses his designs like nothing I've seen @_@.

I didn't know about this one, though. Interesting!

March 16, 2009 2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Bluth, Pomeroy and Goldman say in the extras, "Banjo" starts out rather tentatively, then snaps into a slicker level and stays there right to the end. Amazing, considering it was the first production they completed. And they only hint about what a huge task it must have been to paint all of those cels. Cel painting is far more labor intensive than animating, assisting or even inbetweening. And it's pure drudgery after about the first five.

March 16, 2009 3:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home